A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
'Chaotic Comets' is an endless space shooter that supports one or two players. Play as a spacecraft tasked with clearing a field of asteroids, constantly on the lookout for enemy aliens that will hurt you and canisters that will help you.
- Classic shoot-em-up feel, with up to two players. Controllers are supported.
- A shop packed with eight upgradable stats allows the player to progress through the rounds in their own way. Will you go for firepower first? Maneuverability? Something else?
- Two types of UFO. The red kind is fleeting, but the green kind sticks around, dueling the player until either perishes.
- Both types have a retreat mechanic, trying to escape on low health but giving the player a window of time to take them out.
- Canisters which carry temporary improvements to the ship's arsenal.
- Difficulty modes that vary from beginner-friendly to a test for expert players.
- A well detailed interactive Tutorial, guiding the player through the basics.
- Fun distractions: a Cheat mode for spawning props/powerups and a Multi-colour Asteroids mode that gives those lumps of space rock a splash of paint.
Chaotic Comets began life as a final university project in late 2018. The game would go through multiple updates, with v1.3 and v1.4 improving the game significantly. Development is complete as of 20th of April 2021, after almost three years of occasional periods of work on the project.
My main inspirations for the game are Maelstrom and Asterax, space shooter games I've played since I was a child.
The game currently only supports local co-op, although multiplayer is possible online through a third-party tool called 'Parsec'.
Source code can be found on my GitHub repository.
Download the file, extract the contents, and run 'Chaotic Comets' to play. More info can be found in 'readme.txt'.
The game launches with either mouse or various controllers usable on the menus. For controller troubleshooting, also see the readme.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.